Try our Free Online Math Solver!
COURSE SYLLABUS FOR INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA
|As identified in the KCTCS and the BSCTC Catalogs:|
|Course Prefix and Number :||MT 120|
|Course Title:||Intermediate Algebra with Applications|
|Course Credit Hours:||3 credits|
|Official Course Description:||This course includes
exponents, polynomials, radicals, radical
expressions, graphing in the plane, functions, linear and quadratic
equations, linear inequalities, systems of linear equations and
inequalities , and appropriate applications
|Course Prerequisites :||MT 065 or equivalent as
determined by KCTCS placement
|Approved Course Competencies (KCTCS
General Education Competency Statements and General Education
|I. Communicate Effectively||1.
|Read and listen with comprehension.
Speak and write clearly using Standard English.
Interact cooperatively with others using both verbal and non-verbal
Demonstrate information processing through basic computer skills.
|II. Think Critically||1.
|Make connections in learning across
the disciplines and draw logical
Demonstrate problem solving through interpreting, analyzing,
summarizing , and/or integrating a variety of materials.
Use mathematics to organize, analyze, and synthesize data to solve a
|III. Learn Independently||1.
|Use appropriate search strategies and
resources to find, evaluate, and use
Make choices based upon awareness of ethics and differing
Apply learning in academic, personal, and public situations.
Think creatively to develop new ideas, processes, or products
|IV. Examine Relationships
in Diverse and Complex
|Recognize the relationship of the individual to
human heritage and
Demonstrate an awareness of the relationship of the individual to the
biological and physical environment.
Develop an awareness of self as an individual member of a multicultural
|Student achieving a passing grade
will be able to demonstrate proficiency in the
following areas, to a degree commensurate with the grade received.
1. Factor a polynomial completely .
2. Solve equations involving rational expressions.
3. Distinguish between a function and a relation.
4. Find the domain and range of a function.
5. Distinguish between a relation and a function.
6. Graph linear functions and find the slope.
7. Recognize the different forms of a linear equation.
8. Find the intercepts of a linear equation.
9. Solve systems of linear equations using different methods.
10. Solve linear inequalities in one and two variables .
11. Simplify radical expressions .
12. Solve equations involving radical expressions.
13. Perform basic operations on complex numbers.
14. Solve quadratic equations by factoring.
15. Solve quadratic equations by the square root property .
16. Solve quadratic equations by completing the square.
17. Solve quadratic equations using the quadratic formula.
18. Graph quadratic functions.
19. Solve applications problems using the above competencies in real world
|Course Outline||Lesson-1: Common factor
Lesson-2: Monic Quadratics
Lesson-3: General Quadratics
Lesson-4: Special Factoring
Lesson-5 and 6: Rational Expressions
Lesson-7: Addition and Subtraction of Rational Expressions
Lesson-8: Solving Rational Equations
Lesson-9: Applications of Rational Equations
Lesson-10: Plotting points in the Plane and Functions
Lesson-11: Linear Functions
Lesson-12: Applications of Linear Functions
Lesson-13: Solving Systems of Equations by Graphing
Lesson-14: Solve Systems of Equations by Substitution
Lesson-15: Solve Systems of Equations by Elimination
Lesson-16: Applications of Functions
Lesson-17: Interval Notation and Compound Inequalities
Lesson-18: Absolute Value Equations and Inequalities
Lesson-19: System of Linear inequalities in Two Variables
Lesson-20: Radical Expressions and Rational Exponents
Lesson-21: Simplifying Radical Expressions
Lesson-22: Division of Radical Expressions
Lesson-23: Solving Radical Equations and Applications
Lesson-24: Complex Numbers
Lesson-25: Solving Quadratic Equations by Completing the Square
Lesson-26: Solving Quadratic Equations with the Formula
Lesson-28: Quadratic Functions and Graphing