Try our Free Online Math Solver!
Elementary Linear Algebra
Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of
the course, the student will
1. be able to express linear systems of equations in matrix form.
2. be able to solve systems of linear equations using Gauss -Jordan elimination.
3. be able to perform basic matrix operations and compute matrix inverses and determinants.
4. be introduced to the basic properties of real vector spaces and subspaces including properties such as
linear independence , span, basis, rank.
5. examine linear transformations and their applications to computer graphics .
6. be able to compute eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a square matrix .
7. be able to use the software package MATLAB to perform basic matrix operations .
Grading and Evaluation: There will be four in-class tests worth 100
points each; several quizzes and
assignments which will be scaled to be worth 100 points altogether; and a final exam worth 150 points. Your
lowest test score will be dropped. Your average is computed by taking your total number of points, dividing
by 5.5, and rounding to the nearest whole number . Letter grades are assigned as follows:
|90-100: A||80-89: B||70-79: C||60-69: D||0-59: F|
Final Exam: The final exam is on Friday December 7,
8-10 am. It will be comprehensive.
Attendance: You are expected to attend every class. Although absences are not penalized, if a class is
missed, you are responsible for all materials and assignments.
Make-ups: In order to take a make-up test or quiz, you must have a valid reason for missing the test,
contact me as soon as possible, and (except in extreme situations) take the test on or before the day of the
Late Assignments: Late assignments will be penalized 10% per class day; no assignment will be
accepted more than three class days after the due date. Exceptions might be made in extreme situations.
Academic Dishonesty: Any student caught cheating will receive a failing grade and may be reported
to the Office of Student Affairs. Cheating includes using unauthorized materials during a test, giving or
receiving information during a test (including copying), giving information about a test to a student who
will take it at a later time, and receiving information about a test before you take it.
Last Day to Drop: August 21
Labor Day: September 3
Last Day to Withdraw: October 8
Fall Break: October 11-12
Thanksgiving Holidays: November 21-23
Final Exam: Friday December 7, 8-10 am