-Hand out "Writing Project"-Due Mon. 12/8 (in 2 weeks)
-Wrap up 8.4-Functions, Domain, Range
-Start 8.5- Quadratic Functions
8.5 HW #18 all,. 9-47 (e.o.o.), 49, 53
y is a function of x if for each independent variable
there exists a
unique dependent variable .
y is a function of x if for each x there exists only one y.
Vertical Line Test : If a vertical line
intersects the graph of the
relation in more than one point then the relation is not a function.
The graph below shows the (hypothetical) relationship
economy and speed.
1. What is the relationship between the x- intercepts and the solutions to the quadratic equation
2. What would you conjecture about the number and type of
for a perfect square trinomial ?
A quadratic function has a vertex at (-2, 1) and passes
What other (easy-to-find) point is on the graph of the
What is the vertex form of this quadratic function?
The quadratic formula was used to find that, for a certain
1. What is the axis of symmetry for this quadratic function ?
2. What are the xintercepts?
3. What is the equation of the quadratic function?
Find the equation of the parabola
plotted here .