Mth 098 Practice problems for test 1
SHORT ANSWER. Write the word or phrase that best
completes each statement or answers the question.
Find the value of the exponential expression.
Find the value of the expression.
Find the numerical value of the expression for a ) x = 4 and b) x = 18.
Evaluate the expression for the given values. If
round to the nearest tenth.
State the phrase as a mathematical expression . Use x to
represent the variable.
10) A number increased by two
11) The difference between seven times a number
12) The product of two and six more than a
Change the word statement to an equation. Use x as the
13) A number minus 3 equals 5.
14) 3 times a number equals 6 less than 4 times the number.
15) Twice a number less 4 equals 4.
16) The sum of two -thirds a number and 33 is 16.
17) 8a - 5a + 3
18) 6 + 4(6 - 4m)
19) -14 - (4 - 15p)
Simplify the expression by combining like terms .
Write the phrase as a mathematical expression. Use x to
represent the number. Combine like terms if possible .
24) A number multiplied by -8, subtracted from
the sum of 16 and two times the number.
Solve the equation by first clearing the fractions .
Solve the equation by first clearing the decimals .
Solve the equation.
Solve the problem.
50) The difference between two positive integers is
60. One integer is three times as great as the
other. Find the integers.
51) One half of a number is 3 more than one-sixth
the same number. What is the number?
52) The sum of twice a number and 2 less than the
number is the same as the difference between
-10 and the number. What is the number?
53) The sum of two consecutive integers is -387.
Find the larger integer.
54) If the first and third of three consecutive odd
integers are added , the result is 87 less than
five times the second integer. Find the third
55) The sum of three consecutive even integers is
246. Find the integers.
A formula is given along with the values of all but one of
the variables in the formula . Find the value of the
variable not given. Round to the nearest hundredth where
Solve the formula for the specified variable.
Section 10.6. Show the interval
notation for each of the problems
Solve the inequality , then graph the solution.
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that
completes the statement or answers the question.
Testname: 098 PRACTICE PROBLEMS TEST 1 SPR 08