Course Title: Pre-algebra
Course Number: Math 0950
Course Credit Hours: 3 semester hours
Catalog Description: Fundamental concepts of arithmetic including pre-algebra. Does not count for graduation.
1. Develop excellent mathematics study skills.
2. Review and update college arithmetic skills .
3. Develop skills to reason logically .
4. Improve ability to solve word and real world problems.
5. Teach use of a scientific calculator with direct algebra logic.
6. Prepare the student for Math 0960.
Basic Mathematics, fourth edition by Charles P. Mckeague,
PWS Publications, Boston, MA, 1996.
Basic Mathematics, seventh edition by Marvin L. Bittinger &
Mervin L. Keedy, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., 1995.
•Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division
• Place Value , and Rounding
•Estimating and Displaying Information
•Tables and Pictographs
•Bar Graphs and Line Graphs
• Circle Graphs
•Properties of Addition and Multiplication
•Exponents and Order of Operation
Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Ratio and ProportionUnit Analysis
•Area and Volume
•Converting between Metric and English Systems
•Applications of Percent
•Percent Increase and Decrease
The Real Number System
•Integers-Addition and Subtraction
•Integers- Multiplication and Division
Introduction of Algebra
• Distributive Property /Gather Like Terms
•Addition and Multiplication Property of Equality
•Solving Equations In One Unknown
• Simple Exponent Introduction
•Simple Addition and Subtraction of Fractions
•Addition of Polynomials
•Multiplication of Binomials
•Introduction to Applications of Algebra